Our top 10 tips for organizing the "big move":
1. Get rid of CRAP! Be honest with yourself. You don't need 55 shirts and you don't need anything that you haven't used in two years. PURGE. It feels good and it's cheaper and easier to move when you purge the crap.
2. Schedule a free pick-up from a local charity. Our favorite is donating to Sunshine Acres. If you haven't been to this place, it's totally worth a visit. It's the most incredible children's home we have ever seen and they will pick up your household donations.
3. Set aside items that can be sold. Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, Facebook Buy/Sell/Trade groups and OfferUp are great websites to list items for sale.
4. Hire pro movers for the big day. If you have ever moved yourself, you need no further explanation. They'll even reassemble your furniture. Sleeping in your bed the first night in your new home is WAY better than not sleeping in your bed.
5. Create a master moving "to do" list and make sure all family members are on board and know their part.
6. Schedule your utility disconnect at the old house and reconnect at the new house. Make sure to include internet and an alarm system if applicable. Forward the mail as well!
7. Start packing early! Pack decorative items, holiday items and dishes, stored items and other things that you won't need for a few weeks. The earlier you pack the more relieved you will be once moving day gets closer. It comes quickly and goes so much more smoothly when you are prepared.
8. Keep an overnight bag with things that you would pack for a vacation. You may be without all of your stuff for a few days so pack like you are heading on vacation for three or four days. If you have too much, no big deal. If you don't have enough, you'll sure wish you planned that better.
9. Take pictures of the settings and connections of your electronics so you can quickly set them back up at the new house.